Friday, July 09, 2010

Friday with Marcia Lowry-Molly Cow had her baby


Molly cow pulled a sneaky one....1 week early...baby boy calf! Unfortunately, she managed to mask her impending labor and took off early yesterday across the creek to the FARTHEST corner of the FARTHEST pasture. Doing a "bed-check" about 8pm last night I discovered said baby - all dry and full of milk. My goal was to get them into the corral/barn but it wasn't going to happen last night. I tried my very best to get the calf up on the 4-wheeler to ride in front of me - did I say he is HUGE? - only managed his front feet and that was not going to work - did I also mention that Rob is in Minnesota?

So, I figured they would be ok for the night - not so much me - didn't sleep much and heard coyotes all night - some real and some in my short dreams. So, as soon as it was light enough I went back over across the creek - which to make things more difficult, was up quite a bit from last night - did I say I have only really leaky boots and the water is very cold at 6am? I managed to get a little rope halter on BIG BABY and as he wouldn't lead - I pushed him from behind and steered with the halter - Molly was quite accommodating - only had to stop about 20 times to lick him - and me - and head butt yearling daughter Andi - who was a royal pain in the rear for both of us.

All in all it took about 45 minutes to go about 1/2 mile and everyone is happy and contented and where they should be - except Andi who is in the pasture with Kitty the horse and NOT happy - she is SUCH a momma's girl. AND, unfortunately there are no pictures of the beautiful baby because along the way I lost my camera and upon retracing our steps - found it FLOATING FACE DOWN IN THE CREEK @#$&**. (Marcia got a new camera so enjoy the pic of Chuck!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it is so funny that my MIL predicted this. She looked at the photo of Molly and said, "I've worked for enough dr's to know that that there cow is going to have that baby within the next 1-2 days. Molly gave birth that night!

You are one tough cookie Marcia!!

Marcia said...

Ya just do what ya gotta do...

Hey - just got back from "town" with...a new camera -- yea! So hopefully after I master the instructions, I'll get a photo of the new baby.

Michaele said...

What a great story. I can picture all if it, but would have loved to see you getting licked by Molly. Can't wait to see the photos. Have you named him?

Marcia said...

Molly's baby BOY is named "Chuck" as in roast, steak, ground. As I told Mel, it's hard to think of his future when he's so cute today...tough being male in the livestock world :((

Taradharma said...

you've got a hard job, for sure. my heart sank when I read how you'd found your camera. Ugh.

don't know how you manage it all, my hat's off to ya!

Marcia said...

TaraDharma- Hard work, yes, but we like to say we work full time at feeding and taking care of ourselves - veggies, meat, milk, eggs, with extras to sell to buy things we don't produce (TP and alcohol mostly :)) - while others work at an away job to make money to buy veggies, meat, milk, eggs, etc. We have no middle man, so to speak. It's mostly VERY satisfying and...enough exercise that we don't have to pay a membership at a gym!

My camera was about 15 years old - maybe a sign to get a new one!

Joanna Jenkins said...

What a sweet baby! But sorry about your camera :-(

jj