Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Top 105-110 Cookbooks of All Time :)

Okay...looked through many of my cookbooks and came up with my favorite ones. I might have another amended list later. Some of my cookbooks are in the garage...in boxes. I have about 600, give or take 10-15. Many are old and out of print. I read them like some people read novels.

Here is my list, in no particular order:

The Neighborhood Cookbook by The Jewish Women of the Portland Section of the Settlement Center (located at 2nd and Wood..Portland, Oregon) 1914

The Joy of Cooking by Rombauer

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (1970..my very first)

Jim Fobel's Diet Feasts
James Fobel's Beautiful Food

Cooking Kosher-the Natural Way-Jane Kinderlehrer

Nose to Tail Eating by Henderson

Weber's Big Book of Grilling by Jamie Purviance & Sandra McRae

Food for Paradise..Meatless Cookbook by Russian Orthodox Church

Mrs. Rasmussen's Book of One-Arm Cookery by Mary Lasswell
Sud's in Your Eye by Mary Lasswell

Everyday Meals from a Well-Stocked Pantry by Nathalie Dupree

James Beard's Theory and Practice of Good Cooking

The Boston Cooking School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer

Angel Food - recipes and reflections from great Catholic Kitchens

Recipes of the 5 Brothers, Volume 1-Leah Rosch

Fire and Smoke by Maggie Waldron

Hands-off Cooking by Ann Martin-Rolke

Dinner at Omar Khayyam's by George Mardikian 1944

Tons of Woman's Day Encylopedia's of Cookery

The Food of Vietnam by Trieu Thi Choi and Marcel Isaak

Everyday Cooking with Jacques Pepin

Still Life with Menu Cookbook by Mollie Katzen

Marlena Spieler Cookbooks: (more in garage)
Jewish Heritage Cookbook..Jewish Cooking
The Vegetarian Bistro
Grilled Cheese
The Flavor of California
Yummy Potatoes
Macaroni and Cheese

LaBelle Cuisine by Patti LaBelle

Barbecue Bible by Steve Raichlen

Betty Crocker's Cookbook...old

The Art of Eating by MFK Fisher

Clay Pot Cooking by Paula Wolfert

Southern Memories by Nathalie Dupree

The Tortilla Book by Diana Kennedy

The Natural Healing Cookbook by Bricklen and Classens

Biba's Italy by Biba Caggiano

Soup Suppers by Arthur Schwartz

The General Foods Kitchen Cookbook

Les Halles Cookbook by Tony Bourdain

The French Laundry and Bouchon by Thomas Keller

Sunflower Sampler-Recipes from the Jr. League of Wichita, KS.

Cooks Country-America's Test Kitchen Recipe Books (last 4)

Larousse Gastronomique...need I say more?

Helen Corbitt's Cookbook

Stocking UP-How to preserve the food you grow naturally, organic gardening and farming (1977)

Secret Ingredients-The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink

The Silver Palate by Julie Rosso and Sheila Lukins

The Very Best Indian Cookbook Ever by Shankari Easwaran

The Complete Cookbook of Pasta and Noodles -Cooks Illustrated Book

Favorite Recipes from Our Best Cooks-Grand queen committee, Shawnee, KS. 1968

Der Rumtopf by Margrit Diethelm

Favorite Recipes of America-including wild game, seafood and poultry 1952 (great book to look at..fun)-Favorite Recipes Press Staff Economist

Mexican Cookery by Barbara Hansen

Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook..one of mom's favorites

The Food and Wine of Greece by Diane Kochilas

Jewish Cooking-traditional recipes for the contemporary cook-Crescent Books-Helen Burdett

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen

Bouchon and French Laundry by Thomas Keller..did I mention these??

Almost Vegetarian by Diana Shaw

Antoine's Restaurant Cookbook by Roy Guste, Jr. 1979 (ate there then)

Amish Cooking by Crescent Books

The Barefoot Contessa by Ina Garten

A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove-a history of American women told thru food, recipes, and rememberances by Laura Schenone

Lydia's Italy by Lydia Bastianich

Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling and BBQing (Dave's Favorite..and he has Many)

The Gourmet Gazelle Cookbook by Ellen Brown

North American Wild Game Cookbook by Bill and Anita Mabbatt

Babbo by Mario Batali

The Frugal Gourmet Cooks America--you know the guy

Simple French Recipes for the Home Cook by Guy Savoy

Cook Once a Week, Eat Well Every Day by Theresa Albert

Salads by Sonia Uvezian

Heirloom Beans by Steve Sando

Mexico..One Plate at a Time by Rick Bayless

The Best Pressure Cooker Cookbook Ever by Pat Dailey

The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen by Grace Young and Alan Richardson
The Breath of a Wok..same two

German Cooking Made Easy...author?

Fish Without a Doubt by Rick Moonen

The Healing Foods Cookbook by Jean Rogers

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart

The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

The New McDougall Cookbook by John and Mary McDougall (vegan)

You've Got it Made by Marion Burros

Tolliver/Rosenberg Family Reunion Cookbook (my family)

Okay about 10 chili cookbooks and 15 BBQ cookbooks

Intercourses-aphrodisiac cookbook by Martha Hopkins Lockridge (gave to husband for Valentine's Day one year--gorgeous photos!)

I'm Just Here for the Food by Alton Brown

The Joy of Pasta by Joe Fanularo and Louise Imperiali

Eat this and Eat thisToo! by Dom DeLuise

Ginger (East to West) by Bruce Cost

Sara's Secrets by Sara Moulton

Mexican Cooking by Diana Kennedy

The Best of Taste-Williams Sonoma

The Pleasure of Your Company by Molly O'Neill

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni

Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Simone Beck, and louisette bertholle
*************************************************************
Whew! My newest? Heirloom Beans by Steve Sando and I absolutely love it.











16 comments:

Larousse Cuisine said...

Dear Mel,

thank you for including The Larousse Gastronomique in your impressive list!

We are posting some recipes in youtube in English at the moment - maybe this can be of interest to you?
http://youtube.com/user/laroussecuisine

You can also submit your recipes to our new french site :
http://cuisine.larousse.fr/

Thanks!
Larousse Cuisine

Anonymous said...

You have the cookbooks, right? Did you look at the cover? LIDIA Bastianich spells her name with an "i" not a "y"...

Marcia said...

You have me beat by a couple hundred...but I do see several on your list that I have...the Better Homes & Gardens 70's version I think I got as a "bonus" for having a Tupperware party - you may have been there!!

Nathalie Dupree said...

Thanks so much for including me! I have been sorting out cookbooks and I've saved many of them but will go back now and get Fire and Smoke, which I debated about this morning. Its a well-worn book and I hated to part with it. Please do join my Facebook as I don't know how to reach you...and I'll like this so I can send to Arthur Schwartz and a few others.

Unknown said...

Anonymous...I figured I spelled it wrong but didn't care. It's in the garage..in a box. Thanks for letting me know. My grandmother's name was Lydia and she spelled it with a Y. Are you from New York?

Larousse Cuisine..:) wow!

Nathalie..we are FB friends but how about I send my email address?

I forgot one..Peg Bracken's the "I hate to cook cookbook".

Marcy Smothers - Radio Host/Homecooker/Writer said...

I share about fifteen of your books in common. More if you count all Miss Marlena's books! A few I didn't see that I love:
Ad Hoc by Thomas Keller
Boulevard by Nancy Oakes
The Complete Book of Pork by Bruce Aidells
All of Mollie Katzen's books
Essentials of Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan
Great post. Gets me thinking!

Taradharma said...

where DO you find the time!?!? Your list reminded me of Molly Katzen -- when I was a yougin' I cooked from Enchanted Broccoli Forrest all the time...it was my 'go to' book. Long since gone, now I am wanting it so much!

My other love is The Victory Garden by Marian Morash because she explains some exotic vegetables and how to grow and cook them into interesting, savory dishes.

Way to go, Mel!

Taradharma said...

Just viewed the Larousse Cuisine youtube on making pastry egg cream...make it look so easy! I must say I am a LC virgin, and will now explore this food with great enthusiasm. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Marcy...I've wanted to get some of the one's you mention. I've used some of Marcel's recipes that I got online.

Tara...I have time now. Cookbooks are my passion and my therapy..as is cooking.

Would love to make a list of the ones I most enjoyed reading from cover to cover.

Marcia...if your mom was at the Tupperware party, then I was. I remember it vaguely.

Unknown said...

BTW....the older I get, the worser my spelling gets. :) It used to cause me great distress..as I am a recovering perfectionist. Happy to say, it really doesn't bother me any longer.

Ann said...

Wow, Mel. Thanks for including my book in the list. I hardly feel worthy. But what is the book you listed by Shankari. I don't know about it and surely I need to!

Our latest cookbook additions here are Ad Hoc by Thomas Keller and the Pressure Cooker cookbook by Tori Ritchie.

Unknown said...

Ann..Shankari will be writing it.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Wow, What a great list. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check some of those out-- Although my husband will scream if I bring another cookbook into the house :-)

Silver Palate and Ina Garten are my "go-to" cookbooks. And I use the "New Basics Cookbook" by Rosso & Lukins, "Wildwood" by Cory Schreiber, "Bowl Food" by Laurel Glen and "Feasts From the Mideast" by Faye Levy a lot too.

Bon Appetite, jj

Norene Gilletz said...

Nice to see we love many of the same cookbooks! Thanks for sharing this link, Mel. I have at least 2,000 cookbooks in my library.

Norene Gilletz, cookbook author
http://www.gourmania.com

shankari said...

Aww. I am honored Mel.I have to write a cookbook now, I will.

Unknown said...

typo...thanks for pointing that out.🤣