Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sundays with Marlena Spieler-A Sof! :(

"Jewish Menu" for Oak Cafe at American River College....that was fun! Thanks Teresa Urkofsky for asking me to do it!
It was great to spend the day with Marlena and her aunt Estelle at our house...and the matzo ball soup was fantastic! Thanks to Chris Macias and Heather (photographer) from The Bee.
Going to Shankari's the following week was fantastic....she and Raj were super host and hostess!!
We had fun wagging our tongues...and I had fun making one of Marlena's recipes with beef tongue...probably my biggest challenge from her book. We loved it!
Kibbutzing in our lovely Sari's...thanks Shankari!!!
Cooking from Jewish Cooking on tv was da bomb. Seems like a long time ago!

So..it is finished. Came in like a Lion, went out like a Lamb...speaking of lamb, it sounds good. Think I'll make some!

Thanks to my co-blogger buddies, Shankari and Eileen. It's been quite a ride! :) Our first post was Sunday November 8th, 2009. Cooking and blogging our way through her book was fun most of the time, challenging at times, and a wonderful learning experience! Getting to know you two better was priceless.

Thanks to Marlena Spieler for being gracious and encouraging during this project. It was appreciated more than you will ever know. I learned soooo much. A sheynen dank.

Thanks to Greg Sabin for his support and to Ann Martin Rolke for hers as well. To my blog maker and editor, Lori Hahn. Without her, I would have been up shit creek often. Last but certainly not least, thanks to my husband Dave for making all of her wonderful bread recipes.

Some things I'll keep making: Zchug, Harissa, Brik a'leouf, Matzo Ball Soup, Latkes, Fragrant Beet Soup with Lamb Kubbeh, Marinated Herrings, Whitefish Salad....well, so many really.

Mazel Tov to us!

**[Monday with Marica will be posted later on this week....but will be back on schedule next Monday....I want to leave this post up a few more days. It deserves to be left up a bit longer]

9 comments:

Marcia said...

I am so impressed - what an accomplishment! So...what's next??

Taradharma said...

Mel, you look Fabulous in that sari!

I've enjoyed your cooking with Marlena posts so much. What a great project!

Cape Coop said...

I've so thoroughly ADORED following your Sunday posts here- and I am already excited to see what you take on next!Thank you for sharing your adventure with us here!@!

Eileen and Karen said...

so, what's next on your project list? I haven't come up with anything yet. It was a lot of fun and a great experience and I met a lot of new and wonderful people through it all. Thanks so much Mel for the opportunity!

shankari said...

What a beautiful post! I love how your surmised all our experiences. This project was a blast and I learned a lot from all of you & Eileen. Thanks Mel!

Sonia said...

Congrats, Mel and Shankari and Eileen! What a wonderful project with a wonderful group of people and food. A great accomplishment. :)

Unknown said...

Bittersweet for sure. :)

Yes, we did meet so many wonderful people as a result of knowing Marlena. yay!!

I am not sure what is next. I might get completely away from food blogging for awhile.

Shelly said...

Well done! Mazel tov indeed!

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Thanks for the plug Sugar - hope you are having a blast in OR.