Friday, April 09, 2010

High on Moroccan Thigh's



I used Smart Chicken Thighs and Brown Jasmine Rice. Big chunks of carrots, parsnips, asparagus, Eileen's olive salad, and a big can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes...
I am addicted to this dish...I think it was because of the preserved meyer lemons I used!




Serves 4 to 6.


  • 1 package of 6-8 chicken thighs
  • 1 large can of chopped Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 lg kale leaves..chopped (from my garden)
  • 3 stalks of celery..chopped (from my garden)
  • 2 large carrots, chopped into big chunks
  • 4 asparagus spears...sliced into one inch pieces
  • 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • pinch of toasted cumin seeds (you can toast in a dry hot pan...till you smell it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tsp. hot paprika
  • 2 cups water or chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 lg. parsnip, peeled and chopped into big chunks (or use potatoes..5 med red)
  • 1/2 cup olive salad
  • 1/2 preserved lemon, quartered and seeds removed..finely chopped

In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, combine the chicken, onion, garlic, spices, parsley and oil. Cook, covered, over medium heat, without adding water or broth, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is almost done. Stir occasionally to turn the pieces of chicken, and watch the heat so that the chicken doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.

Peel carrots and turnips. Add them to the pot, along with the olive salad, asparagus, tomatoes, kale, celery and preserved lemon... and enough water or chicken broth to almost cover. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the carrots, etc. are tender and the sauce is thick.

Serve over rice or couscous and enjoy! I like brown jasmine or brown basmati.








ch

5 comments:

Taradharma said...

oh darlin', this looks so good! I will be trying it soon! The thigh is my favorite part of the bird - the breast is too dry, the leg not meaty enough, the wings - well, forgetaboutit.

thanks for adding so richly to my cooking repertoire!

Dinners and Dreams said...

I am from Morocco and love your Moroccan chicken recipe-it looks wonderful!

Nisrine

Unknown said...

Next time I'll take the skin off...don't like the skin. Well, if it's fried, hell yes!

Glenna said...

Yuuuuuumy!!!! That sounds perfect for a Saturday night dinner at my house!

margaret said...

Ohhhhh this is the kind of recipe that makes me wish I ate meat.