Friday, July 02, 2010

Sundays with Marlena Spieler-Lamb with Artichokes

Not called for in this recipe, but the ingredients are. I like to make a paste out of the garlic, lemon, and rosemary. I add that into the slits along with the sliced garlic and rosemary.
I got this lovely boneless leg of lamb at Taylor's Market ...fabulous butcher shop in Sacramento!
I added the artichokes after the lamb had been roasting for a bit.
I also added carrots, fingerling potatoes, and asparagus to the dish. The potatoes were cooked underneath the lovely artichokes.
A perfect medium rare....that is the way I prefer my lamb anyway.

Ingredients: Easily serves 6 - 8.

1 leg of lamb 4.5 lbs
7 peeled garlic cloves...3 should be sliced lengthwise in order to put into the slits you make. The other 4 I mashed up into the paste.
5 chopped shallots
One handful of fresh rosemary..stalks removed. Chop half of it.
2 1/2 cups dry red wine like maybe Cabernet.
4 TBS olive oil
6 globe artichokes cut in half lengthwise (put in water with lemon juice to stop oxidation)
juice of one lemon (two if you don't have preserved lemons)
2 preserved lemon quarters, washed and chopped into small pieces
1 cup of beef stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Use a sharp knife and cut slits about 1/2 inch deep all over the leg of lamb..about 2 inches apart or so. Into each, put a sliced garlic clove, some of the paste, and a few rosemary sprigs. (see photo) You can marinate the lamb ahead of time..and I think it is a good idea! Be sure to take lamb out of fridge and let sit for at least 30 minutes before roasting. Note: If the lamb did not have the sciatic nerve removed (part of the Kosher process) use shoulder of lamb instead.

Paste: with a mortar and pestle, crush up the remaining garlic,a chopped rosemary, a bit of olive oil, a pinch of kosher salt and the juice of one lemon. You could put it all in a bowl and crush it up with a fork. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Put the lamb in a non-metal dish, salt and pepper it, drizzle the olive oil over and pour half of the wine over it. Stick a meat thermometer into the lamb so you can take it out of the oven when temp reaches 130. It will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven to a med rare. If you prefer medium, take it out at 140 degrees.

3. Prepare your artichokes now by washing them and peeling off the bottom two or three rows near the stem. Have a large bowl of acidic water ready to plop them into after you cut each in half. Use a small spoon to scoop out the "choke" or feathery looking stuff before adding to water.

4. Put lamb in oven and roast at 450 for 15 minutes and then decrease heat to 325 degrees. Take roast out when lamb reaches your desired temp. This will take about two hours..depending on your oven. Leave the meat thermometer in roast until it is done resting...after you take it out. Let it rest about 13 minutes or so.

5. About 30 minutes before the lamb is done, put the artichokes around the lamb, drizzle with a bit of olive oil.. and let them roast along with the lamb. This would be the time to add your potatoes if you want to use them..and the carrots too. What the heck! Salt and pepper veggies and 1/2 of the beef broth is to be added now.

6. While lamb is resting, transfer pan juices to sauce pan and spoon off any fat...and pour the remaining wine and shallots into the pan. Turn up heat and let juices reduce to about half and then add the remaining beef stock. Stir until pan juices are rich and flavorful.

7. Slice lamb and pour juices over everything. Mint sauce is lovely as well with lamb. I like to slice my lamb about 1/2 inch thick. You'll be able to enjoy the artichoke heart...very nice and smokey!

This Italian Jewish Dish is one your friends and family will see as a special feast. Mine sure did!

Be sure to go over and check out what my blogger buddies are cooking from Marlena Spieler's Jewish Cooking cookbook this Sunday. Eileen at Just the Two of Us and Shankari at Sacramento Spice. While you are here, would you mind clicking on the Sacramento Top 25 graphic? It helps people find my blog. Thanks!





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It looks so yummy - love all the veggies and I too like lamb "pink" - I wish you were closer..I would save a locker lamb for you - we sell about 10 yearly from our flock and save a couple for our freezer. ~ Marcia

Unknown said...

Marcia...If I come home for Jack's funeral..can I come and just hang out at your place for a few days?

Anonymous said...

Oh Mel - I would LOVE that - we're about 45 miles west of Riverton - Worland is about 2 hrs. away. Do you know yet when the funeral will be?~Marcia

Carolyn Jung said...

Did you save me a plateful? ;)

ARUNA said...

Great presentation!!!

Peg said...

I'm sorry to read that you have a funeral to attend.

The food looks absolutely gorgeous! Do you know that I've never been served fresh artichokes? I don't buy them because I have no idea what to do with them.

My older sister used to raise sheep, goats, and fowl. The kids always had lamb projects for 4-H.

My 12 yr old niece and I took a couple of horses out for a ride. After FINALLY catching the horses, saddling them, getting the kid on her horse, we were under way when I turned around and saw that the entire barn was following us. Goats, sheep, dogs, even a couple of cats! I asked the kid if it was ok, since they didn't seem to be bothering anyone, but we had to turn around and round the whole group up! Sheesh! Better off renting a horse and letting them worry about it.

Unknown said...

Peg,

That is a great story. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. :)

Glenna said...

O.M.G. Looks soooooooooooo wonderful!!!!

Taradharma said...

that's the way I like my lamb, too. I get so frustrated trying to convince people that lamb is actually delicious and not the mutton they grew up on! They don't believe me.

Pat said...

Lamb is my all time favorite! Great recipe, Mel. Yum, Yum, Yum.

Carolyn Jung said...

My hubby is going to make leg of lamb this weekend. Hmmm, might have to add some lovely artichokes to the menu after seeing this. Yum!