Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sharlotka..a Russian "Pie"

Mila teaching me the recipe..crappy photo from Iphone.
The batter looks good!
Look at that crispy crust!
I gave half to my in-laws.
Yummmmmm. Mila is my housekeeper. Am I rich? No. My MIL gifted her cleaning services to me two years ago..and she comes once a week. The woman can cook..and I had fun with her today!

Simple recipe:

Cut up two lemons and one apple into quarter inch pieces. Spray a deep dish pie pan with Pam. Toss the lemons and apple in. [I used meyer lemons] I left the peels on the lemons..per Mila.

Beat one cup of sugar and 3 eggs..till it turns white
Take a tablespoon and put a pinch of baking soda into it..then add vinegar. It will "poof and bubble". Add it to the batter. Mix.

Then, add one cup of flower and mix slowly..then 1 tsp of good vanilla. Mila says you can add sour cream if you like..a spoonful. I was thinking ricotta!

Pour the batter over the lemons and apples and put it into a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes..or until the top is crispy and browned.

Take a knife and go around the edges of the pie...after about 10 minutes. Put a large plate on the top and invert it....

Serve with good vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

In Russian..gostya na paroge..means, guests at the doorstep..or uninvited guests. It is quick..easy, and delish!

2 comments:

Glenna said...

Tell Mila it looks awesome!!!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.