Monday, May 19, 2008

Our Journey to Shankari's Indian Potluck Party







.
This brine smells wonderful...I want to bathe in it. So we made the brine and marinated tons of organic chicken in two big batches for about 20 hours. Must have lots of room in your frig! Thankfully, we have a backup fridge in the garage for just such purposes as brining/marinating, etc. This recipe has many of the same spices used in Indian cooking...well, the Rum might not be an Indian recipe staple.
Dave spent most of Saturday BBQing and smoking the chicken. Usually we use sugar cane for the smoke, but none to be found this early in the season...so he used apple chips.
Steven Raichlen, the author of Barbecue Bible and this recipe for Bucanner Chicken, gave me permission to use the recipe and the picture of his book on my site. He emailed me back!
This chicken is sweet, spicy, moist, and tender. My next post will be about the potluck Shankari hosted, where we took the chicken. I have never taken one of her cooking classes..but I plan to.



4 comments:

Dale said...

Mmmm, everything always sounds so good and looks so tasty here! Are you for hire?

Unknown said...

Sure, but I ain't cheap.

Anonymous said...

That brine/marinade looks delicious. Can you email me the recipe?

-Jenny

Unknown said...

Jenny-

Are you Jennyo?