Sunday, August 26, 2007

Katie Trujillo

Katie Trujillo died last Tuesday. She was a fabulous woman who spent the last 10 + years of her life suffereing from Alzheimers..or something very close to it. I don't know if she suffered from it, but I know her family did.

Back in 1987, when I was home for a visit, I was over at Katies house where she gave me some solid advice in child-rearing. One of my boys was in trouble and she told me to just love him, no matter what, and that he'd turn out the way he's supposed to turn out..eventually. She gave me a big hug...I was enveloped in acceptance and love. Katie had a twinkle in her eye, a vibrant sense of humor, and great love for her many children and grandchildren.

She was my brother's mother-in-law and Ruth Elliott's mom. I loved it when she brought whatever she cooked to a pot-luck picnic or (if I was lucky enough) to be over at her house when she was cooking. She made her own tortillas (torts)....just thinking about it makes me drool. Her beans were the best and she made some great tamales. My sis-in-law, Ruth, is also a fantastic cook...and I always look forward to going home just to be able to eat her fabulous Mexican creations. My bro is a lucky man.

Many Blessings to the Trujillo's and to the Elliott's. Katie will be missed on this earth.

2 comments:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I'm sorry for you loss, Mel, and for your family's loss. It's great to know someone special, but remembering them and passing it on is even better.

Anonymous said...

You said it just right, Mel. I don't ever remember seeing Kate that she didn't give us a big smile and hug. And she gave us Ruthie!