Friday, January 29, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons and Stale Bread....

Meyer Lemons...a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange....and they were a gift from someones backyard tree!
You just rub em down with kosher salt, pack em in a steralized jar, add a bit more lemon juice, salt and boiling water. Waiting is the hard part..just 2 or 3 weeks! Preserved lemons.
Stale french bread..first ya have to cut off the outside crust..but save because you can grind em up and use them for bread crumbs. Don't toss anything!
Herb baked croutons...light and crunchy. Delish.
And you can freeze the breadcrumbs and use them whenever!

4 comments:

Taradharma said...

a cook after my own heart...I hate to waste food!! I love these ideas. Thrifty becomes gourmet cooking.

Laura said...

Those lemons are gorgeous...you are a woman after my own heart, love how nothing goes to waste!

DIL said...

mmmmm, croutons!

Unknown said...

A friend told me to keep those lemons closed for 2 months at least. I said, "Okay". That was pretty much the extent of that conversation. Does the period go after the punctuation or before?

I used to know such things.