Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I Cut the Cheese!

Bubbling hot...crust on top is perfect. Perfect day for it.
Elbow macaroni works every time!
I was inspired.

So, I minced two cloves of garlic and one big shallot. I softened 1 and 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter. (not a diet dish..but you could cut down on the butter). I shredded almost every kind of cheese that I had in my fridge...and added some farmers cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream. After I cooked the pasta for 7 minutes, I reserved about two cups of the liquid before draining.

I put the pasta back in the hot pot and added the ingredients...and enough of the hot pasta water to make it "wet" and gooey. I chopped some chives and threw those in..along with some pepper. I salted the pasta water so didn't add any more salt. I popped my oven-safe dish into a 400 degree oven until the top began to brown. The top was just frozen bread that I ground in the food processor. I did add hot sauce to it when I tasted. So very, very yummy and comforting. I really didn't eat too much either.

Clean out your cheese drawer and make some mac n cheese. Here is what I found in mine:

Myzithra (a Greeks sheep's milk cheese)
Goat white cheddar
blue and white cheddar
sharp cheddar
parm.

2 comments:

shankari said...

Looks perfect for a weather like this or actually anytime of the year.

Carolyn Jung said...

I love that cookbook. I have it, too, and it has provided me many a happy, cheesy time. ;)