Sunday, October 19, 2008

Grilled Cheese and Tomato/Basil Soup--thanks Marlena Spieler! click to go to her site!

BTW...when you click on my post title..don't miss reading Marlena's very insightful SF Chronicle Column about being a diet outlaw.





So I was going thru Marlena's "Grilled Cheese" Cookbook and decided to make Grilled Cheese & Eggplant Sandwiches..with Tomato/Basil Soup. I went to The Nugget to get the ingredients.

I got home and didn't feel up to grilling the eggplant so I substituted bacon...which isn't really a close match at all. I cooked the bacon in the microwave. I bought red bell peppers but didn't feel like grilling those so used some jarred ones. I used some garlic and dill mustard, garden tomatoes, snow peas, havarti and sharp cheddar cheese, dandelion greens, and a thin smearing of creamy horseradish aioli...and some roasted, thinly sliced chicken. [This isn't a recipe from her book exactly but was heavily inspired because of it]

I cut some rosemary sourdough bread...made the sandwich, brushed the first sides with olive oil and placed them into a hot grill pan with a heavy pan on top..then did the same to the other side and waited till I saw the cheese melting.

The soup wasn't so tough...I opened a can of Campbells tomato soup and used garden-fresh basil to pump it up. Delicious. My husband was in happy land.

I made a "regular" grilled cheese with tomato and bacon for my in-laws. My MIL says she doesn't like the way regular food is "all gourmeted" up. They were in fairy tale town over the entire meal.

My husband had spent over 10 hours with my DFIL at Sutter Cancer Center on Friday..and they both came home pooped and hungry. Bill seemed to take the treatment without any noticeable horrible side effects. My husband has a case of shingles though..right above his left eye..which began on Saturday afternoon. Poor grilldave. Shingles can be very painful. It seems we are all kinda falling apart cept for my MIL..who is hobbling around trying to care for everyone...and water the flowers!

I am "Mels Diner" now...they just call and order a meal and they have it ASAP. That makes me happy. Today I made my Sunday slow- braised tri-tip with potatoes, onions, celery, and carrots....way comforty.

2 comments:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Marlena is a peach - and I know how popular and delicious her recipes are.

I loved your interview with her - you should reprint it sometime soon.

Dale said...

Yes please! Why do I always get hungry reading about your food?