Monday, January 07, 2008

One Foot on the Brake and One on the Gas!

Am I kinda scared about turning 55? Yep. Am I kinda excited about what the future holds in store? Yep...and I really can't drive 55. It puts me to sleep.

Seems like everywhere I turn there are advertisements for wrinkle creams, plastic surgery, pills to make one younger and more energetic, etc. I think Joan Baez looks fabulous...you don't think she's had any work done, do you? Not Joan. Oprah has women on her show who are over 50 and damn..they look fabulous. I can hardly believe it. Ya think any of them have had work done? Have you seen Goldie Hawn lately? No wonder I feel like shit on some days...when I begin to believe "the beauty myth".

I was out to breakfast a few weeks ago and this very young hostess asked me if I wanted to see the "senior menu". I should have told her the last time I was a senior was in 1971...and then I graduated. {That wouldn't have been exactly true}. I was sort of horrified...and I don't laugh at "old people" jokes anymore. I declined the menu and suggested that she wait for people to ask for one. If someone is gray or purple haired, has a walker..or walks slowly, smells like roses or old spice..well, then it's a safe bet they are indeed seniors. See? I stereotype as well!

I looked up the definition of senior citizen on two websites. One said, age 62+ and one said 65+. Why did AARP start sending me membership info. as soon as I turned 50?

I do look forward to traveling more, to taking risks, to getting down and comfortable with this journey into "adulthood"....again. I think I'll take up painting, or photography..or maybe I'll take a class or two at Sac City College, just for the hell of it...maybe I'll do it all, and maybe I'll just think about it. I need to make more friends..spend more time with women. I'm not too old to make new friends..but damn, I gotta get out of the house to do it. :0

I don't know if I'm a homebody..or just scared. That's a new feeling for me. I never used to be scared. I guess I feel more scared than I ever have. Hell, I used to be fearless. I started college at the age of 33, got my masters degree at the age of 41. In 1997..ten years ago, I sold everything I owned and moved to Santa Rosa, CA. I can't imagine doing something like that now. Maybe estrogen gives one courage!

Happy Birthday to me (oh, and to Elvis).

8 comments:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Happy birthday! Okay, here is the birthday song we sing around here. Of course, it's not the traditional version.

Hmmm.....

Okay...
This is your birthday song, it's not so very long.

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm....

That is my favorite!

Eileen and Karen said...

I'm 6 mo. ahead of you sista! Ain't it the pits when the AARP crap starts to come in the mail?
Enjoy.. we are at the age (don't you hate that phrase?) when we can start to do what we want, when we want and not worry about what other people think.. sort of.
Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Eileen..you are my hero! No shit.

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Happy Birthday! What is with age...U are young in your heart and that is all that matters.

Unknown said...

Thanks to everyone for their comments, support, and thoughts.

I am over my birthday blues. Onward and upward.

Dale said...

Don't the discounts start at 55? I think they do here. Still...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! But, really--that waitress was out of her mind!!!!!! I don't want anyone to ever ask me if I want to see the senior menu.