Thursday, November 15, 2007

Dressing to Impress


My maternal grandmother Rosenberg made the best stuffing. Making it, with mom and my sisters, is still a great memory. Every time I make this, I get rave reviews. Adding the bacon was something I began doing a few years ago.

Here is the turkey dressing recipe..or stuffing if you actually cook it in the bird (which I do):

I don't recall ever measuring anything..it was all done by "texture and taste".

2 loaves of white bread..cubed about 1/2"
1 nine by thirteen inch pan of cooked corn bread..cubed about 1/2 "
about 5-6 eggs
ground giblets and neck of turkey...simmered for an hour...shred and/or chop ..use broth too [I always buy a turkey leg and simmer that with the giblets so I have extra broth]
3-4 stalks of celery..chopped at about 1/4"
1 lg onion chopped like the celery
ground sage or minced fresh sage to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Fry about 6 pieces of bacon..crispy then chop into small pieces [add it last] . I use that pan with the bacon grease in it to saute my celery and onion for about 10 minutes on med..before adding them to the mix.

So ya mix all of the ingredients together...we always used our very clean hands to do so. It should be very moist but not soggy. I pack it into the bird, after it cools, and throw it all in a 325 degree oven until it is done..depends on the size of the turkey. What doesn't fit into the bird, I put in a buttered dish and bake it for about 35 minutes. I drizzle some broth on that about half-way thru so it stays moist.

Fabulous. Save some of that broth for the gravy!
[the turkey pic is from a few years ago..Mike BBQ'd one and it was great!...couldn't stuff it though]

No comments: