Friday, October 26, 2007

and the beet goes on.....

I picked up some organic beets (purple and orange) and some fresh baby spinach. What to do, what to do?

With some help, I decided to make a roasted beet salad over fresh spinach. Nice.

I roasted the beets at about 400 for about 40 minutes...after drizzling olive oil/salt and pepper over the top. I am into grey salt these days. I then put the beets in an impeccably clean kitchen towel and rubbed off the peels. I'll just be saving that towel for beets now. :) I chopped up the beets into 1/2 inch squares. I guess I could've peeled em first...but what would be the fun in that?

I washed and dryed the spinach leaves and cut off any long stems...and threw the beets on top.

I made a vinaigrette from some De Cecco extra virgin olive oil, some lemon, thyme, salt & pepper...and tossed some blue cheese crumbles on the top. Would rather have used Feta..but didn't have any. Poured a bit over the top..tossed it very well...and it was fabulous! Served it with a lemon/rosemary roasted chicken.

I just love beets! Here are links I love: http://www.ehow.com/how_3093_cook-beets.html and Meals for Four..under $15.00 http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/list_value.html I am partial to the "Roll Your Own Burrito Night". If you shop somewhere other than Whole Foods, you can probably do it for $13.00 for four!

5 comments:

sher said...

I love beets too! That sounds delicious. Yum!

Dale said...

I always thought I hated beets until I recently was made a delicious salad like the one you describe and now I'm mental for them! Can I come over?

Anonymous said...

Yes Dale....come on by.

Ya know, I was born in Canada..so maybe we're related. :)

Dale said...

We probably are, it's a tiny country! :-)

Anonymous said...

I've never liked beets but I'm married to a beet lover. This will make him very happy. It sounds delicious and I will try it. Keep you posted!