Tuesday, September 11, 2007

RIP-9/11

My mom died 6 years ago today..and my dad died 13 years ago today. Any resentments I ever had toward them have been replaced with fond memories. ..lots of them food memories.

Today, I'll make moms famous cabbage rolls and listen to Hank Williams while I do it. They would both be pleased. My cookbook of the week is "Family Cooking, Tolliver Style"...my moms maiden name. BTW..check out http://www.sacatomato.com/ for her 9/11 post. Here is the recipe for cabbage rolls ...followed by a quote that is in the preface of the book:
2-3 lb. head of cabbage (or two cabbages)
1 cup of rice
1 lg. can of peeled, crushed tomatoes
2 lbs. of hamburger (I mix mine with mild Italian sausage)
Salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of caraway seeds

Wash, core, and blanch whole cabbage in boiling water until barely tender. Separate the leaves. Combine all ingredients using only 1/2 -3/4 of the canned tomatoes. Place a large tablespoon of the mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll up. Place seam down in a large roasting pan. Use a toothpick if you need to..to keep it together. [Don't forget to take it out later]. Pour the rest of the crushed tomatoes over the rolls...add a little water or tomato juice if you need to. Bake at 325 for 2 hours.

My mom used to make this and pack it up for my Aunt Kitty in Illinois. [dry ice was used].

Quote: Behold, the work of the old....let your heritage not be lost. But bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing...gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children. (Chrisitan Metz, 1846)

I had a bottle of DeeJays cinnamon/plum wine that I was saving for a special occasion. Mom used to make her own wine and she had bottled this one November/2000. Anyway, after her death my step-dad, Jack, gave me a bottle. A few months back it got broken. Hell, I started to cry as if she'd just died all over again. It fell off the wine rack (on top of the frig) and shattered. I was down on the floor sticking my fingers in the wine and licking them.

Don't save important stuff for a special day...every day we are together is special. Celebrate!

1 comment:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Mel-Tough month for you, kid. Remember I love ya' and am there for you every September, k?